A complete guide for delightful vegan living
Vegan living is a set of choices stemming from a simple logic: Every sentient being – human or not – deserves not to be hurt. Thus, a vegan avoids all animal products/use: Milk & its products (milk, paneer, cheese, ghee, butter, curd, etc.), meat, eggs, honey (substituting them with their plant-based versions for taste, if desired), wool, leather, fur, pearl, silk, circuses, zoos, etc. Vegans refrain from animal-tested products too, to the extent possible. Veganism is a win-win-win, in terms of ethics, environmental sustainability and human health. Read this exhaustive FAQ-styled photo article on vegan living to know more.
Becoming vegan has never been easier. From sweets, chocolates, cakes & ice-creams to curd, paneer, cheese, pizza and tea/coffee, almost every taste you are used to can now be enjoyed without animal ingredients.
- General Suggestions
- Restaurants & Bakeries
- Vegan products
- Cooking vegan at home
- Other lifestyle changes
- Vegan communities
- Plant based food is rich in fiber (essential for good digestion and nutrient absorption), low on saturated fat, and contains no cholesterol. Contrastingly, all animal foods are very high on saturated fat and cholesterol, containing zero fiber.
- No species in nature drinks another species’ milk, or any milk at all post infancy. Every animal’s milk is tailor-made for her species. The hormonal structure and biology of a cow are drastically different from those of a human.
- Meat too is unnatural. Our so-called canine teeth do not make us omnivorous, as canines are also found in several herbivores (e.g., gorillas, horses, hippos). From laterally moving jaws to long intestines, humans possess a dozen physiological traits that make us plant-eaters, not omnivores.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency is equally common in non-vegans & vegans, so don’t be alarmed. It is a modern lifestyle issue. B12 comes from bacteria. Since today’s ultra-hygienic ways eliminate bacterial presence, vegans and non-vegans both need to be careful of vitamin B12 levels, and take supplements as needed. (More on http://sharan-india.org/vitamin-b12/)
- Clichéd but crucial: The more raw fruits, greens and vegetables you consume, the healthier you will be.
- Vegan or non-vegan, fried & processed junk foods are unhealthy, and should be avoided as much as possible for gaining good health.
- Getting regular sunlight is important to ensure adequate Vitamin D levels (More on http://sharan-india.org/vitamin-d/).
- Also do not forget to check out the Leading Nutrionist and Doctor from the States who points out the surprising benefits of a plant based diet at Nutritionfacts.org
- Poets & Oats bakes vegan tea-cakes and breads and home delivers them (can be ordered through Jiva organics, Dharti organics, Good Seeds and Farm2fridge). Phone number: 9581251848 (Dhanesh)
- Terrassen Cafe (100% vegan cafe), run by Poets & Oats, keeps vegan tea-cakes and 100% whole wheat breads. (On the terrace of Goethe Zentrum, Banjara Hills)
- The Lush Glaze– Has vegan Cakes, Vegan Butter and cheese.
- That Vegan Bakery (Jubilee Hills – 8179531220) – Makes vegan brownies, cookies, tea-cakes etc by order.
- Madhulika Jajodia (Somaji Guda, 8099662924) bakes vegan party cakes, tea cakes, cookies, cup-cakes etc by order.
- Chakki health bakes (Yapral, Lakshmi – 9848822962) – healthy vegan cakes, cup-cakes, breads, cookies and more by order
- Simple Pleasures (Suneeta, kondapur- 9052206567) – vegan party cakes, tea-cakes, cup-cakes, cookies, etc. by order.
- Gallery Cafe(Banjara Hills) provides vegan options for all their snacks and beverages.
- Bakeart (Somajiguda, 9642600005, email@example.com) – vegan cakes, breads, cookies etc. by order.
- Cookwithfun (Miyapur, 9052188890, delivery to limited areas) – cakes, cookies, breads etc. by order.
- Kikaboni Organic Store (Jubillee Hills) bakes vegan cakes by order. They also stock some cakes that can be bought from the store.
- Ofen Bakery (Mr. Rajan – 9849681912, Banjara Hills) – vegan party-cakes by order.
- Go Gluten Free (Kondapur, http://goglutenfree.in/, 7893549148) – gluten free vegan cake by order.
Vegans are NOT limited to home food at all. Restaurants of every cuisine serve dishes that are devoid of dairy, eggs, & meat. We just need to clearly specify not to include butter, ghee, cheese, paneer, milk, cream and mayonnaise in the dishes that we order. To ensure compliance, you could tell them that you are allergic to milk. Wherever feasible, do also summarize veganism.
- Terrassen cafe is Hyderabad’s 1st 100% vegan restaurant/cafe/bakery. Their menu consists of vegan smoothies, sandwishes, tea-cakes, tea/coffee and a lot more. It is run by Poets & Oats at the terrace of Goethe-Zentrum premises.
- Smart Alec Alternative Deli in Jubilee hills is a 100% vegan restaurant with a pet play zone area which provides delicious vegan food at reasonable price.
- Pizza: If you are a pizza lover, you can enjoy cheese-less pizza in Eagle Boy’s Pizza, Little Italy, US Pizza, Ohris and Papa Jones. US Pizza also has makes Garlic breads without butter. The garlic sauce and original bread sticks are vegan.
- A’la Liberty (Banjara Hills), Novotel, has Vegan options for all of their paneer dishes.
- Catering: Vibrant Living Foods, run by a famous nutritionist Sridevi Jasti
- Terrassen cafe – an all vegan restaurant + cafe
- Gallery Cafe(Banjara Hills) provides vegan options for all their snacks and beverages.
- Almond House has a variety of vegan sorbets.
- Starbucks provides and option of making most things in their menu using soymilk
- Organic coffee (Sri nagar colony) uses soy milk in their beverages upon request
- Costa coffee (a few outlets stock soy milk)
- Kikaboni (organic soy milk/almond milk coffee)
- CCD has a vegan shake in their menu
- Most Thai and Chinese vegetarian restaurants are also vegan.
- Subway customizes dairy-free sandwiches.
- Some restaurants also keep tofu or you can buy a tofu packet (readily available in supermarkets) and ask them to make your favorite paneer dish with tofu. If your group has a sizable number, they are likely to cooperate.
- For hostel students: Arun, an IISc student, has put together a very good set of guidelines here.
Note: Please check the ingredient list before buying anything recommended here, as the ingredients may have changed. Some of the non-vegan ingredients to look for are milk solids, whey, glycerin, butter, ghee, condensed milk, gelatin, caseinate and casein.
- Milk: Soy milk is useful in the beginning, as it is readily available in the market. Some places also stock ‘Homemade’ brand coconut milk and ‘Silk’ brand organic Almond milk. One can also use soymilk powder (see below) to make soy milk by adding it in hot water.
- Soy milk powder: Soyvita, Manna Soyplus and Bionutrients are some of the soy milk powder brands available in several cities. They can easily be used to make soymilk (by adding hot water) or for tea/coffee.
- Vegan milk maker machine: Nut Magic – extracts milk out of nuts, soy, seeds etc in an easy way.
- Sana Vegan Products has come up with Home delivery of Soya milk and Other Soya products like Tofu and Mock meat at a very reasonable price.
- Dark chocolates by Nestlé’s, Rittersports, Amul & Sattva
- Lotus and Morde dark compounds
- Malia bar (nutritious raw bar) is available in several cities, and can be ordered online.
- Home-made vegan chocolates by Cookwithfun(9052188890) & Ekta (8886899002)
- Few varities of Amul Dark chocolate.
- Biscuits: Hide-n-Seek (plenty of flavors), Oreo, Pickvick, Parle’s Coconut and Bourbon, McVities Hobnobs. There may be more; just check the ingredients. Duke’s waffles (except chocolate flavor) are vegan.
- Curd and Cheese Spread:
- That vegan bakery takes orders for vegan cheese spread.
- Haldiram’s classic soan-papdi and badam halwa,
- Lal sweets besan ladoo (one variety),
- Variety of chikkis
- Some shops also keep boondi laddu, Mysore Pak, Soan papadi, Badusha, etc. made with vegetable oil, and cashew burfi without mava.
- Amour has many Sorbet options in many cities.
- Berry’s has just started Soya based ice-creams that taste just like dairy ice-creams and are reasonably priced too. They can be home delivered by calling Mr. Murthy (9391689333).
- Cafe Mocha 35MM (White field, near Kothaguda X roads) customizes instant stone ice-creams with coconut milk
- Cookwithfun(9052188890) takes orders for home-made vegan ice-creams
- Terrassan Cafe in Banjara Hills.
- Plant based butters and mayonnaise:
- Whipped cream: Non dairy whipped cream by Rich
[Caution: Vegan or non-vegan, it’s best to limit the intake of processed foods from a health perspective. Plus, most of them come in non-recyclable aluminum-coated plastic packaging, which is not eco-friendly.]
Cooking at Home
Making plant based alternatives doesn’t take much time at all. In fact 80% of the recipes in this booklet can simply be made in just 5-7 minutes time! Wherever applicable, easy tips on making these things almost instantly are also mentioned.
Like with any lifestyle change, there is a tiny bit of ramp up time involved here too. But, once you get the hang of a few basics, you will be surprised to see how easy it is to make everything vegan!
[Note: Please find recipes for plant based milks (from almonds, cashews, coconut, rice & peanuts), curd, curd rice, simple cashew cheese and fruit based ice-creams here.]
- One can make milk out of various nuts, seeds, beans etc. Some examples are soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, rice milk, coconut milk, peanut milk, oat milk. The best thing about plant based milks is that they are cholesterol free and growth hormone free. Hence, they do not cause high blood pressure and heart disease. They don’t promote diabetes, either.
- Tofu tastes just like paneer, and is healthy too. Rich in protein & calcium, it is available in most stores.
- Tea: As a substitute for milk tea, cashew milk, almond milk or soy milk work great (Use only 1/3 cup milk for 1 cup tea in case of almond/cashew milk) Many other options exist too: lemon tea, herbal tea, green tea, etc. You may add different herbs like ginger, mint, tulsi, cardamom, mint.
- Coffee tastes great with cashew milk, almond milk, vanilla flavored soy milk or coconut milk. [Do not boil the coconut/cashew/almond milk. Add them in the last 5-10 seconds before turning off the stove.]
- Almond milk, cashew milk & soy milk are good choices for breakfast cereals.
- Orgran offers a variety of vegan easy baking mixes (cakes, pancakes etc.) and egg-replacers. They are available at Nature’s basket stores.
- Any curry (even Malai Kofta) can be easily veganized: Replace ghee/butter with oil, paneer with tofu, dairy cream/mava with cashew cream (sometimes added with watermelon/pumpkin seeds), and dairy-based milk with coconut/cashew milk.
- Curd: Peanut curd goes well with buttermilk, raita etc. For other usages, cashew curd is a good choice. (See recipes section).
- Coconut milk is very cost-effective and can be used to make hot/cold coffee, cold cocoa, ice-creams, kheer etc. Thick coconut milk can also be used with vegan ready-made ice-cream mixes.
- Orgran offers a variety of easy baking mixes (cakes, pancakes etc.) and egg-replacers. Most of them are gluten free. They are available at Nature’s basket stores.
- Most of the taste in meat dishes comes from spices. Still, if you want meat-like texture in vegan form, go for mock-meats/soy-nuggets.
- Egg-replacers: A good list of all possible egg replacers that can be used in baking or other dishes is available here.
- Ice-creams : Delicious, dairy-free (and cholesterol free) ice-creams can easily be home made! Find tons of very easy and healthy recipes here.
- Sweets: Many recipes for veganized Indian sweets can be found here.
- Cheese from Cashew: Check recipes section.
- Home made pizza with cheese! : Find a detailed recipe here.
Other lifestyle changes
Veganism is not just about food; it’s about avoiding cruelty in all our choices. There are ample options for non-leather furniture, footwear & accessories. It’s very easy to substitute or avoid leather, honey, wool, fur, silk, pearls etc. as well. You can also readily find natural/cruelty-free shampoos, soaps & cosmetics involving no animal testing/ingredients. Visit the page below for an exhaustive list of products:
- A comprehensive list of vegan lifestyle products in India
- Vegan India blog
- Non-leather accessories
- Sustainable cloth and dish washing powders from Krya and Dharti Organics
- Weekly organic market at Sacred Space and La Makaan and Monthly organic market by Good Seeds also offer options for many vegan lifestyle products
Plant based milks
One can make milk out of various nuts, seeds, beans etc. Some examples are soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, rice milk, coconut milk, peanut milk, oat milk. The best thing about plant based milks is that they are cholesterol free and growth hormone free. Hence, they do not cause high blood pressure and heart disease. They don’t promote diabetes, either.
Nut milks [from cashews, almonds and peanuts]
Ingredients: ½ cup almonds/cashews/peanuts, Water (2 cups or more)
- Wash and soak nuts in water (almonds overnight, cashews/peanuts for 3-4 hours). Rinse well and blend with water. First make smooth paste with little water, and then add the rest of the water.
- Sieve with a thin cloth (optional).
- Nut milks can be stored in refrigerator up to 3 days.
Easy tip: To make instant nut-milk anytime, soak nuts in large quantities, drain water and deep-freeze them. This way, they can be stored for a month. Thereafter, whenever you want to make milk, just take some nuts out, thaw them in water and blend them!
Blend grated coconut with equal amount of lukewarm water. Sieve the mixture with a thin cloth. Save the fiber. Once all the milk is extracted, repeat the procedure with the fiber, and a little water to extract the remaining milk. Discard the fiber. This can be stored in refrigerator up to 3 days.
Ingredients: 4 cups water, ½ cup uncooked rice (white or brown) or 1 cup cooked rice
- Cook rice and water until very soft.
- Let it cool and put mixture into blender or food processor. Blend until very smooth.
- Let it stand for at least 30 minutes, and then pour the liquid on top into another container. Be careful not to let the sediments in or strain it. Refrigerate. It can be kept for at least 48 hours.
- Use 2 cups of lukewarm cashew/peanut milk. (While using peanut milk, let it boil fully, and then let the temperature come down).
- Add 2 teaspoons of curd as a starter, and mix well.
- If you are starting the curd for the first time then, make the curd starter by adding 10-15 chilli stems in small quantity of warm milk and keep overnight. Use this to start the bigger batch of curd.
- Most vegan curds stay well in refrigerator up to 7 days. Store a small quantity from each batch to use it to start the next batch of curd. The starter can also be stored in deep freezer for a month.
- Find a complete guide to making dairy-free curd/yogurt here.
Simple vegan fruit-based ice-cream
Blend ½ kg of any pulpy fruit (such as mangoes, chickoo) with a handful of cashews (or even lesser) and 2 spoons of sugar (or according to taste). Let it blend for 3-4 minutes. Freeze the mixture for at least 2 hours, and scoop!
- 1 cup slightly overcooked rice (optionally it can be smashed a little)
- Peanut curd – quantity according to taste
- Salt to taste
- Jeera(cumin) powder – 1tsp
- Ccumin seeds – 1/2tsp
- Grated carrots – according to taste
- Finely chopped mint leaves
- Grated ginger,
- Lemon – according to taste
- For tempering – cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chilly, white urad dal, chopped green chilli (3-4)
- Boil rice with water (take 3 times more water than rice)
- When rice is half cooked, add carrots, ginger, mint leaves, cumin powder and salt. Mix rice and curd together.
- In a bowl, take a spoon of oil (optional), and add urad dal, mustard & cumin seeds. Once they pop, add green chillis, red chillis and curry leaves. Pour this over the curd rice mixture. Add curd and lemon according to taste.
Simple cashew cheese spread
Ingredients: ½ cup cashews soaked for at least 3 hours; 3-4 cloves of garlic; salt and black pepper to taste, pinch of turmeric
Procedure: Blend all the ingredients in the chutney jar of the blender with a little water. Add water one spoon at a time, and blend till its consistency becomes creamy. Refrigerate it overnight for better results. [Optional: Add 1.5 tablespoons of nutritional yeast if available. It can be ordered from Bon appetite in Pondicherry. Since only a little amount is required at a time, a 150gms jar lasts for almost 6 months.]
Here are some more cheese recipes (Herbs are optional; you can use dried herbs too).
More vegan recipes
Note: Open for anyone interested in veganism (not just vegans)
- Hyderabad Vegans (Arranges monthly potluck lunches and other events to support those exploring/trying vegan living.)
- Vegans in India
- Vegans in NCR (delhi, Gurgaon, Noida)
- Mumbai Vegans
- Bangalore vegans
- Chennai Vegans
- Ahmedabad Vegans
- Pune Vegans
- Vegans in Kolkatta
- Jaipur Veganism
Contact (for further information)
- Sejal (firstname.lastname@example.org, 7893225500)
- Sowmya Lakshmi (email@example.com, 9966565071)
No being that feels pain should be put to pain.
Let us alter our choices to uphold that!